India National Flag
- It was adopted by Constituent Assembly of India on July 22, 1947
- A tricolour flag was first accepted by the Indian National Congress in 1931, having Charkha in place of today’s Chakra
- It is a horizontal tricolour of deep Saffron at top (stands for courage, sacrifice and renunciation), White at middle (shows truth and purity in thoughts), dark Green at the bottom (symbol of life abundance and prosperity)
- A wheel (Chakra) in centre of the white strip is the symbol of progress and movement. It has 24 spokes
- Supreme Court declared the right to hoist flag as a Fundamental Right under Article 19 (i) (a) of the Constitution in 2002. Flag hoisting in India is regulated by flag code of India, 2002
- The Flag was designed by Pingali Venkayya and first time, the flag was hoisted by Sacchindra Prasad Bose in 1906 in Calcutta and later on in year 1907, an another tricolour flag was unfurled by Madam Bhikaji Cama in stuttgart.
- The first flag committee was headed by Dr.Rajendra Prasad.